Summer season, time to go out sun bathing, enjoy beach parties and relaxation. Along, with pleasure the season brings in tanning, dehydration, heat and hot air. Especially, cites which have no coastal line suffer extreme rough climate. There are certain things which we can do to keep our self-fit. Drink ample of water, eat more fruits and light food. Here, is one of my favorite summer recipe – Tamarind Rice. It is a popular dish of South India. It is also called “Imli Rice” in Hindi, where “Imli” is the Hindi word for tamarind. Most light to eat and easy to cook. These tangy rice are quiet popular in Southern India and taste the best when eaten with cool curd.
A tangy rice dish made with channa and urad dals, infused with the flavor of tamarind pulp. This dish is actually a north Indian version of Pulihora or Puliyodharayi, where the term ‘Puli’ means something sour. Learn how to make tamarind rice with step by step.
How to Make Tamarind Rice Recipe
Ingredients for Tamarind Rice
- 300ml (2 cups) basmati rice.
- 150 ml (½ cup) tamarind juice.
- ½ tsp. – jaggery, turmeric in powdered form.
- fenugreek seeds, Chana dal, peanuts and mustard.
- 2 – Round red chilli balls, dried red chili sticks.
- Handful curry leaves and coriander.
Method of Tamarind Rice Preparations
- Take rice, add water and pressure cook them.
- Take a deep pan, add oil, fenugreek seeds, asafoetida, Chana dal, peanuts and chilies dry fry all for 2 mins.
- Add the powders to the tamarind juice and give a boil till it becomes a thick gravy.
- The take the seasoning prepared, add the gravy and mix both with rice.
- Heat rice for 3 mins after mixed and serve with cold curd.
Enjoy this tamarind rice as such along with your meal or with a Papad. This is usually cooked in special occasions.
Read About Traditional Goan food Recipes